Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?

Subject: Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 09:32:41 -0700

Helena below is right on--the spaciousness of hyprtext allows us to offer
the user multiple points of entry and multiple and redundant pointers
toward the structure of the text. Keyword indexes with dynamic links
provide a powerful navigational tool, as do menu structures with a level
or two of embedding. Also, grphical browsers, with the structure of the
whole and the relationship of parts to whole displayed, can be invaluable
in helping users understand the hypertext and move about comfortably.
Redundancy is desirable, as in all uses of language and semiotic systems.
Redundancy is what backchannels information to us to confirm that we
understand the language event. It is the eigth bit.

steve > >