Most Important Leason to Learn

Subject: Most Important Leason to Learn
From: Gary Dettmers <garyd -at- TEKELEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 14:43:46 -0600

Steven J. Owens says:

> You have to be careful of your words in this medium; they may
> reach farther and have a stronger effect than you anticipate, and you
> may not exercise the same care you would for a published medium; for
> example, if Stefan had said that in a letter-to-the-editor in a
> magazine, would your response have been quite so immediate and vehement?

> A good rule of thumb to follow in eletronically mediated
> communication is to step back and think a bit before reacting. You
> have to handle issues with a deliberate gentility that you wouldn't
> bother using in real life, where you have less immediate communication
> channels and/or more subsidiary channels (body language, tone, facial
> expression).

Yes Steven, I agree. Without the benefit of face-to-face contact words spoken
(written) in a faceless medium can be misconstrued. I feel that Steven Owens
graciously pointed out sound advice on the subject of electronic
ommunications.

I have received e-mail directly from many people on this issue. It seems that
some have interpretted Stefan's posting the same way I did. Others read it
the way Stefan intended.

If this exchange of diatribes has offended anyone on this list, then I would
like to extend a heart felt apology to those whom have been wounded. I
believe that "my" interpretation of Stefan's statement stands as how "I"
perceived it. He did though, clarify his postion in response to my posting,
and I thank you (Stefan) for doing so.

Now, does anyone have anything to say about clarity, assumptions, and reader
presence of mind in the written word? What effect (in your opinion) does your
personal writing style have on your readers?

________________ Gary Dettmers | I'd rather have a full
* \\\// * Sr. Tech Writer | bottle in front of me,
* (o o) * Tekelec | than to have a full
*--ooO-(_)-Ooo--* gary -dot- dettmers -at- tekelec -dot- com | frontal lobotomy.