Re: Documentation plan?

Subject: Re: Documentation plan?
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 09:09:30 -0500

> Len Olszewski said:
> > - implementation details; typographical style, document design,
> > how many pages, how many figures, how many screens, online or
> > not, code in the book, how many reviews, color or b&w, tools and

> Everything you said made absolutely perfect sense to me except this.
> How can you know how many pages/figures/screens until you are done?

> Karen
> karenk -at- netcom -dot- com

You guess.

Actually, you provide an estimate based on

similar books written in the past
the amount of source material
the number of features in the product
the number of windows in the product

and so on.

The idea here is to get a feel for how big the book will be, which helps
the editors, proofreaders and compositors as they plan for allocating
staff when the schedule says they have to contribute. If you are off a
little, that's ok - being in the ballpark is the important thing.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "Never confuse motion for action." |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| - Ernest Hemingway |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|