Re: How do you illustrate a database?

Subject: Re: How do you illustrate a database?
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 16:30:51 -0500

Ken d'Albenas surveys the list for ideas:

> How do people depict a database in diagrams? Do you use the
> "disk/drum" cartoon? A stack of paper? A file cabinet?

I've used filing cabinets in illustrations before. Where the components
of the database are the key, I've used simple rectangles within
rectangles within rectangles with different gray scale fill, and the
interior rectangle "blows-up" to a text filled rectangle to indicate the
contents.

> Do you use a different symbol in programmer documentation than in
> tutorials and "ordinary human" user guides?

Sorry. Only ordinary humans in my audiences. Excepting this list's
membership of course. 8-)

> Do you use different symbols for _relational_ database vs. a
> general, conceptual database?

Never wrote about relational databases before. Want to.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Don't say yes until I finish |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| talking." - Darryl Zanuck |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|