liberal education

Subject: liberal education
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 14:43:09 EST

I didn't mean to attack liberal education. I'm very fond of
mine, in part because one thing I've learned in the last
several years is that there is no useless information. History
of science? I've used it. Classical Greek? I've used it.
Geography? I use it. And so on. (I work as an editor on a
computer journal, which is connected to technical writing
but not the same thing; I hang out here because it's interesting
and because I've occasionally considered trying to get into
technical writing.) My point, rather, was that it costs more
every year to get that bachelor's degree--the price of education
has consistently outstripped the general inflation rate for a
number of years--and that, especially at public colleges that
tend to charge for each class taken, distribution requirements,
while arguably valuable to the student, can seem to be just one
more barrier to finally getting that piece of paper that is
necessary to any kind of decent job, so long as personnel
departments insist on a degree in order to even interview people.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY