Task vs. Procedure query

Subject: Task vs. Procedure query
From: Ronald Lee Stone <ston0030 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 00:51:31 -0600

I am developing a handout for classroom use. This handout seeks to help computer
novices get their feet wet using an application as quickly and with as little
documentation as might be practical.

Within this situation, a question arises:

What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of

1) documentation focused on task and
2) documentation focused on procedure?

And also, is there enough of a difference between the two to be significant to
tech communicators?

An example of documentation focused on _task_ would be:

Set the _User Name and Server_ (located in the _Setup_ menu).

An example of documentation focused on _procedure_ would be:

Open the _Setup_ menu and set the _User Name and Server_.

The difference between these is that the _main_ objective of the documentation
(setting the user name and server) is presented differently. An important factor
is that a novice may not yet have these concepts cognitively organized.

This issue emerged from a discussion with a colleague. I am interested in what
any of you may have learned/practiced regarding this (particularly from a
minimalist perspective). Also, if anyone knows of any studies or previous
discussions addressing this I would be interested.

Until later,

Ron

Ronald L. Stone : ston0030 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu : (612) 644-9706
graduate student : Scientific & Technical Communication
Department of Rhetoric : University of Minnesota, St. Paul