Re: Re[2]: Nettiquette Breach -v- Common Politeness

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Nettiquette Breach -v- Common Politeness
From: Ted Gibson <tgibson -at- BACH -dot- WPAFB -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 12:17:14 -0500

Just joined this group yesterday. So far, I'd say the signal
to noise ratio here is better than a lot of other groups.

According to my esteemed colleague, Jim Gifford:

> Speaking of this list and others and the flaming which may take place . . . .
> Several colleagues and I have been discussing the fact that in the several
> dozen lists which, collectively, we subscribe to, flaming has in the past
> six months or so become far more frequent and unpleasant. Is it just us
> or does anyone else sense that "ill will" is become more frequent? If this
> does, in fact, appear to be happening, any thoughts on why?

I've been lurking on the net for about 6 years and I hate to
pound this into ether, but... I've noticed no disproportionate
amount of flaming wrt overall increases in traffic. It does
seem that there is a general increase in flaming every
Autumn though. Angry students maybe? I haven't actually seen
a flame in this group, so I don't know where they're coming from.

In the commercial world, flaming is bad for business. In the
military, it's bad for your career. It's easier to get away
with saying something nasty if you're posting from the .edu
domain.

Another way to look at it is to examine the recent phenomenal
growth of the Net. All those newbies... so little time. :-)

I've come to regard flaming as the output of high spirited
youth rather than ill will. What I hate to see is people get
discouraged by one another. If anyone has been the target of
a flame, let if slide right off you. No one is laughing at you
and most of us are still interested in what you have to say.

--

Ted Gibson Communications Engineer
C.E.T.A. Corporation Open Systems Integrators