Re: Re[2]: Nettiquette Breach -v- Common Politeness

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Nettiquette Breach -v- Common Politeness
From: Mike <ENMCPHER -at- ECUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 08:53:25 EST

Jim:
Allow me to add my two cents worth. . .

I think probably the reason why (esp. on this discussion group) is because
a lot of us who subscribe are expected to write to others on the net as if
we were writing for a professor, a dissertation, or some other outlandish
thing such as that. I personally don't agree with all the flaming people
who subscribe to a listing get. The people who usually do it are unsure of
their own sense of reality or are just wound too tight.

For example, a couple of months ago when I subscribed to this listserv, I asked
what I thought was a perfectly harmless question: "Does anyone know of any
African-American technical writers that I can contact?" I was accused of,
in short, discriminating and possibly starting another race war. This so-
called "netiquitte-breach" breeds the same individuals. . .those who have
nothing better to do but blast those who wish to dispense with the formalities.

It's sad isn't it?

Nobody is copyrighting in the E-Mail spaces. Nobody is escaping from the law.
As a matter of fact, most of the people who DO take time to respond are taking
precious time out of their daily regimen to offer advice and answer questions,
questions that some of these "netiquitte-breach" bashers have probably asked.
I think in that sense some segway should be allowed for things like spelling,
punctuation, etc.

Heck, who knows, I give it three days and I'll probably be blasted for posting
such rhetoric all over the discussion list and probably be asked to leave by
some tub-thumpin' N-BB who carries the "99 Ways to Cure a Netiquitte Breacher"
bible wherever they go. If that is the case so be it. My opinion is known.

--Mike