Re: Two Techwriting Issues

Subject: Re: Two Techwriting Issues
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 12:19:06 CST

|} Issue 1:
|}
|} We are presently rewriting our reference manuals, and a proposal has
|} been made to rewrite them in the second person instead of the third
|} person.

[snip]

|} I would appreciate some opinions on this matter.
|}

Opinion mine: Great! It is a far better way to write, and better for your
readers. The justification that I use when I am forced to explain this to
engineers who think it looks somehow "unprofessional," is to say that it is
far to easy to obscure the actor in a third person piece. This can lead to
confusion; do I do this? or does it happen automagically?

|} Issue 2:
|}
|} As we rewrite the new manuals (in Framemaker 4), we are hoping that we c
|} an easily use the files to develop the on-line help for the Windows
|} applications that these manuals document.

|} Unfortunately, as far as we know, all Windows online help packages (such
|} as RoboHelp) use Microsoft Word files. This makes it necessary to
|} maintain two files: the Framemaker file for the documentation and the
|} Word file for the on-line help. Can anyone out there offer some
|} possible resolution to this matter.

Hmmm. Frame has a rather nice package for building online docs available on
DOS and Windows, but since I'm not a DOS/Windows weenie, nor a Frame weenie
so I don't know if "Windows Help" is a special form of online docs? or a
generic term.

Cheers,
Steve
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ <insert boiler plate disclaimer here>
"In brief, she assumed that, being a man, I was vain to the point of
imbecility, and this assumption was correct, as it always is." H.L.Mencken