Re: What is the tool of choice?

Subject: Re: What is the tool of choice?
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1993 02:54:25 GMT

C.T.

I've been freelance techwriting since the late '70s (remember Software
Arts? Does the name VisiCalc ring a bell?), and my favorite tool has
always been the one that the client _wanted_ me to use. This has been
good news/bad news. Since I document PC/MAC/UNIX products, I've had to
use them all over the years. That's a lie. No one ever asked me to write
in EMACS, Xywrite, or TeX. But Lotus Manuscript, yes. Now, THAT was painful.

Honestly, the best word processor is the last one you used and felt
comfortable with. Frankly, I do 90% of what I need to do in Word for
Windows. I've got 6.0, and am glad I have it, but 2.0c was OK too.

But, frankly, even though I usually had only a day or two to get working
on them when the time came, I also have been impressed with FrameMaker,
Ventura (I just installed Corel Ventura today, and it was like visiting
an old friend; an old _sick_ friend), PageMaker, Ami Pro, and the rest.
They all have flaws as well as real benefits.

I suppose if I really had to choose one and live with it forever, I'd go
with FrameMaker. Either for Windows or System 7.

Don