Re: mainframe OS term needed

Subject: Re: mainframe OS term needed
From: Susan Gallagher <Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 09:24:00 EST

Carl Gotlieb writes:
Hello all,

Are there any mainframe experts in the house?

I'm in the closing stages of writing a mainframe data security manual. I've
been holding off on this but I need to come up with a generic term for the
so-called "operating systems" that run under the MVS and VM operating systems,
such as TSO, IMS, and CMS. My client says TSO, IMS, and CMS are not true
operating systems and not to call them that, but they can't come up with
another term. I've been using "user interface systems." Can anybody supply
me with a better term? (BTW: TSO is to MVS like Windows is to DOS. I think.
So what do you call Windows?).

I call Windows a GUI (graphical user interface), so if TSO is really a user
interface (UI), call it such. I think I'd lose the "system", just to keep
things short and sweet, but that's a personal preference.

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |