Re: Xerox Docutech

Subject: Re: Xerox Docutech
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- SATURN -dot- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 09:02:24 -0800

Stefan Fielding-Isaacs says:
> It uses toner rather than ink so
> you don't get the same quality result. This is most noticeable in
> my project when I instructed that the document be trimmed so that
> the bleed tabs actually "bleed" over the page edge. I lost toner
> during the trim process - toner does not adhere well under edge
> conditions.

Hmmm. We use a DocuTech for manuals that have similar bleeds on every page
and haven't ever seen any problems with toner being lost. I'd suspect that
the toner fuser in the machine is not working well. (I've seen this happen
with our &@#$%# cheap laser printer here when it needs servicing.)

> Docutech is
> a cheap, quick alternative-not a substitute for good printing in
> my book.

I would call the DocuTech a bridge technology between normal copying and
offset printing. The quality falls between the two, and is especially good
if you are using PostScript files as the source instead of paper masters.
Cost-wise, it seems to be best when you need between 50 and 1000 copies
of a document.

> Docutech yields a 600dpi result, not 1200
> (or so I have been told). Perhaps there is an option for 1200dpi of
> which I haven't been made aware.

Yes, it's innards are basically a 600 dpi laser printer.

Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com
SmartStar Corporation
(805)685-8000