Re: Xerox Docutech

Subject: Re: Xerox Docutech
From: Mike Christie <mikec -at- SUN134 -dot- SYNTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 08:31:49 PST

Yvonne DeGraw is right on target with her comments about Docutech.

It is an economical way to produce publications of medium quality in short
to medium runs when you have a Postscript file to work with. To expect more
is to fail to realize that the Docutech is really no more than a fancy,
computerized Xerox copier.

With respect to Stefan's comment that small shops that can't afford a
complete press will get Docutech: I sure hope not. The methods, systems,
andtechniques are quite different. You really have to know what you are doing
with that technology, and not use it as an "instead of." I've worked with
one vendor who runs 2 Docutechs three shifts a day, is a pleasure to deal
with, and produces fine work on time. I've also talked to vendors (of
the "instead of" variety, perhaps?) whom I wouldn't let get anywhere
near my Postscript files! And I certainly wouldn't recommend letting a
broker get between you and the Docutech. The process is too trick with
too many things that *might* go wrong. (But using a print broker is
risky enough under normal circumstances.)

Like any other process, it's good for what its good for.

Happy New Year all!

Mike Christie
Technical Writer
Syntelligence Systems, Inc.