Re: Self-study suggestions

Subject: Re: Self-study suggestions
From: Edward Bedinger <qwa -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 20:12:48 GMT

In article <199401031507 -dot- KAA01492 -at- booz -dot- bah -dot- com>,
Jacobs Chris <jacobs_chris -at- smtpmac -dot- bah -dot- com> wrote:
>Hello, All!

>I am attempting to compile two reading lists of material ranging from the most
>elementary to complex texts addressing two separate, but related, content
>areas. The first reading list I will include textbooks and other reference
>material regarding "instructional design." The second list to address
>"documentation design." Any suggestions from this list are welcome, and I will
>happily post a summary list ...

>Chris Jacobs
>jacobs_chris -at- smtpmac -dot- bah -dot- com

RE: Instructional Design

"Thinking and Learning Skills" , Edited by Segal, Chipman, Glaser
ISBN 0-89859-165-1

I wonder about the point of discussions concerned with Visual aides,
multimedia aides, etc. There never seems to be any awareness of
the learner, i.e., learning strategies, learning skills, rewards, etc.
If you are suspicious of glitz and want to get at the underlying
motivation for adapting new technologies to training, this is a great
place to start: learn to teach!

This volume is so intensely interesting that there is no good
excuse for not being familiar with these issues. Those of us to
whom it isn't obvious that we are instructors as well as tech writers
will find this book particularly gratifying. Consider the subsequent
volume of this set also--they're real gems.