Estimating

Subject: Estimating
From: Jill R Shapiro <jsbz+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 09:40:27 -0500

I'm recently on my own as a freelancer in technical and business
writing. I have a question about estimating: How do you go about
estimating the time it will take you to do large projects? I have been
very successful at estimating time for editing smaller jobs (usually 1/2
hour per page), but with writing, indexing, and design work, I'm purely
guessing. Any suggestions?

At present, I am biddingsubmitting a proposal for an indexing job, so
I'm most interested in that.

Thanks for your help.

--JRS