Re: Degree Question

Subject: Re: Degree Question
From: belville -at- MIT -dot- EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 15:41:01 -0500

Here are the courses required by my BS in Technical Communication from MIT.
(I graduated in 1989. I believe the requirements have changed significantly.)

Intro to Technical Communication
Science Journalism
Science and Tech Writing Workshop
Science and Tech Writing Internship

a graphic design course (playing w/a Mac)
Intro to Psychology
a management course

Plus, a double-major or joint-major in an engineering or science discipline.
I think this was 3 or 4 courses for the joint-major. (This beyond MIT's
general requirements for all students.)

I had a student job as a tech writer before I knew there was such a major, so
I learned most of my practical experience there -- an internship is definitely
a good thing. (Good contacts for real jobs, too.)

I should probably point out that this program is a subset of the Writing
Program within the Humanities program at MIT. Literature is parallel to the
Writing Program -- there is no English program.

Hope this helps!

Sharon Belville
Northeastern MTPW '96?