Re: More on Salary ranges

Subject: Re: More on Salary ranges
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 16:29:38 -0825

>As I was rereading my friend's message, I realized she wanted to know the
>salaries of Austin AND the Research Triangle Area in North Carolina. I
>guess she needs to make some comparison.

>And by the way, is there a book someplace that carries salary information
>on technical writing jobs?

>Nancy Shankle
>Abilene Christian University
>Abilene, Texas

According to a recruitment firm's 1993 national survey, which includes
salaries for technical writers by major cities, these are the salary
ranges:

Raleigh, NC: $30-36,000

Austin, TX: $27-34

The Society for Technical Communications (STC) will be publishing its 1994
salary survey in March or April, which includes salaries by regions, not by
major cities. Their 1992 survey of its members lists a median salary of
$38,000 for the region that includes North Carolina, and $35,000 for the
region that includes Texas.

It's difficult to compare the salary given for an entire region to one
given for a specific city, but it is interesting to note that the STC's
1992 survey shows a higher salary than 1993 survey.

Hope this helps.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible."
- Jonathan Swift