Re: Trademark Notices/Depository Libraries

Subject: Re: Trademark Notices/Depository Libraries
From: Pochun Chan <pchan -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 13:52:08 -0800

> I'm not sure what a Patent and Trademark Depository Library is,
> but it may be exactly what we've been looking for. Please send me
> whatever entries you have for Arizona (specifically Tucson and
> Phoenix).

Donna, A Patent and Trademark Depository Library is a public library where
general public can walk in during office hours to do their own patent and
trademark search. Information brokers like myself do these for a fee.
But, for my cyberpal ;-), if you know where to go and have the time,
there is really no need to spend the money.

When you are there, the first step is to sign up for a CD-ROM search. In
our library, you will be given a 15 minutes slot for the computer. It is
usually very busy. Call and ask them what's the best time to visit. The
CD-ROM disk has all patent and trademark information. If you find any
interesting entries from the CD-ROM, write down the patent number, date,
filing number, etc. and use them to locate the actual details. If you
find nothing from the CD-ROM, you better do a manual search to cover
those entries approved after the CD-ROM is published. They usually have
printed instructions in the library and the staffs here are generally
very helpful. (also very busy)

The only library in Arizona is located at Tempe (south of Phoenix): Noble
Library, Arizona State University 602/965-7010. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Paul Chan
InfoSmith Research Services

Tel: 408/736-1107
Fax: 408/736-1153

PS. If you visit the library, don't forget to buy the two little
booklets, $4.50 each. I like them very much.

BASIC FACTS ABOUT TRADEMARKS
GENERAL INFORMATION CONCERNING PATENTS