Re: Colons, lists, and periods

Subject: Re: Colons, lists, and periods
From: John Weiland <weiland -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:03:15 PST

My copy of "Words Into Type" says the following:

A colon is used after an introductory statement that contains the
words "as follows" or "the following;" either a colon or a period may
be used after other statements introducing lists.

When the introduction is not a complete sentence and one or more of
the items of the list are needed to complete it, no colon or dash
should be used.
Two types of psychotherapy are
* Client-centered therapy
* Rational-emotive therapy

Additionally, never put punctuation before a list if it wouldn't be
there in a sentence that isn't broken into bullets.

John Weiland .. ..
Customer Documentation || ||
Cisco Systems, Inc || ||
Menlo Park, CA 94026 |||| ||||