Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!

Subject: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 08:57:55 CST

Don Chaffee writes:

|} Dear fellow docos:
|}
|} The fact that pronunciation seldom darkens the thresholds of our cubes
|} notwithstanding, I propose that we all make ourselves truly obnoxious in
|} our respective places of employment by correcting those amazingly
|} unlettered engineers, marketing-lizards, and management types of all
|} kinds, by correcting them every time they pronounce "gigabyte" with a
|} hard "g," as in "good."
|}
|} It's "jigabyte," dammit, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I am
|} not making this up.

All my dictionaries, including the one I consider the absolute authority
on technical terminology in the digital world, THE JARGON FILE, list both
as proper. However, while we are on this topic, lets take a stand for the
strict use of K (1024) and k (1000). How many times do you see a want add
with a salary range to $60K? Hey, I'll take the 2.4% raise of $1500 a year.

And while we're airing the real petty stuff, it is NOT a 1.44 MB floppy.
That little 3.5" jobby contains 1440 KB which when converted to MB is
1440 / 1024 = 1.406 MB. You can't go around saying an M is 1024 * 1000,
it's either 1024 * 1024 or 1000 * 1000. Jeez! And that little inaccuracy
is printed right on the disk!

I also plan to stop plate tectonics in my lifetime. Put me down for any
more hopeless causes that you can think of.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ When I use a word, it means just what I
choose it to mean--neither more nor less. -- Lewis Carroll