Re: More on What to say to people who LIKE passive voice

Subject: Re: More on What to say to people who LIKE passive voice
From: Doug Montalbano <D=Montalbano%GMP%Chiron -at- LARRY -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 10:19:32 PST

Folks, I'm sorry; something happened and I posted this thing before I
finished writing it. (Maybe too many people interrupting me with trivial
work questions.... :) ) Apologies for the garbage.

Shannon Ford replies to Melody on the use of the passive voice:

Most people would admit that the passive voice has its place, as does
third person.

I think so too. I always PREFER the active, but there are times when you
can't get around it, as Mark Levinson points out with display terminals: you
could give a long list of credits for the agents responsible for the deed,
but who cares?

Also, I find it fitting that something as inherently passive as a boob tube
requires the use of the passive voice ....

Doug Montalbano | Natives of poverty, children of malheur,
Technical Writer | The gaiety of language is our seigneur.
Chiron Corporation | --Wallace Stevens
Emeryville, CA 94608 |
510/601-2862 (voice/tty) | [boilerplate disclaimer here]