Re: More on What to say to people who LIKE passive voice

Subject: Re: More on What to say to people who LIKE passive voice
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 13:45:52 -0500

From Doug Montalbano:

> Shannon Ford replies to Melody on the use of the passive voice:

> Most people would admit that the passive voice has its place, as does
> third person.

> I think so too. I always PREFER the active, but there are times when you
> can't get around it

As long as we're involved with pet peeves these days, *my* pet peeve
concerns writers who say something like what Doug just said, but then
never really *try* to use the active voice when they write.

I understand that there's a place for the passive voice (a smelly one,
where the water swirls, IMHO, but that's another posting), and that you
can legitimately be clearer and more correct in certain situations with
a passive construction. However, if a writer uses that as an excuse to
indiscriminately and *lazily* write in the passive voice without even
trying to write in the active voice, *THAT* is what really yanks my
chain. Especially if I have to collaborate with or peer review for a
writer like *THAT*. Using the active voice as much as you can is *work*,
it's not *easy*.

But, happily, I feel much better having said that in public forum. So
now I'll go about my business in a better frame of mind. I *love* this
computer stuff!

BTW, I think it's going to be Duke by about a dozen tonight. The guards
will have a big night, and the slow-footed Tarheel front line will be in
constant foul trouble.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "Truth does not stick to glossy |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| paper." - William Horton |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|