passives

Subject: passives
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 09:33:09 PST

Joseph Williams, in his book "Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace,"
points out that a mixture of active and passive voice in a paragraph can
be very useful for keeping the subject of a paragraph common throughout.

I don't have time now, but if anyone really wants an example, let me know,
and I'll post it later.

Anatole Wilson "If I should say to a novice,
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer 'write from experience only,'
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs I should feel that this was
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com rather a tantalizing monition
if I were not careful to add,
'try to be one of the people
on whom nothing is lost.'"
all company disclaimers apply --Henry James