Help Authoring Tools

Subject: Help Authoring Tools
From: "R. Darren Carlton" <wk06248 -at- WORLDLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 19:22:47 -0500

Scenario:

I'm responsible for choosing a help-authoring tool for our first MS Windows
product. After a two-month evaluation, I recommended RoboHelp because it fits
best with our authoring/development environment.

However, my department's direction is to _reduce_ the number of tools;
currently, we have a word processor, a desktop publishing package, a graphics
package, a screen shot package...and so on.

My Question:

In theory, all the Windows help compiler needs to produce a help file is a
properly-formatted .rtf file; is it possible (or even practical) to produce
an .rtf file in FrameMaker that the Windows help compiler will accept?

I know FrameMaker makes a fine .rtf file, but I need a way to produce the
.rtf tags that the Windows help compiler looks for to create hypertext links
(which, by the way, is a combination of double underlined text and hidden
text), browse sequences, etc.

Does anyone know if .rtf tags are really standard, or are there different
versions of .rtf just as there are different versions of .tiff?

If you're completely lost, but somewhat interested in this question, let me
know; I'll post some background info on building Windows help files.