Using "where' to mean "in which"

Subject: Using "where' to mean "in which"
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 11:21:56 PST

I'm probably not going to be much help here, but I'd prefer "if" to either
"in which" or "where," as I find the latter two constructions somewhat
confusing.

So instead of "In all applications *where* reclaimed water is to be used..."
or "In all applications *in which* reclaimed water i
prefer "If reclaimed water is to be used..." or "if you are using reclaimed
water..."

If I absolutely *had* to choose between "in which" or "where," I'd probably
lean towards "where," because it usually feels less awkward and less formal.

================================
Anatole Wilson "Thou hast most traitorously
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer corrupted the youth of the realm
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs by erecting a grammar school...
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com It will be proved to thy face that
thou hast men about thee that
usually talk of a noun and a verb,
and such abominable words as no
Christian ear can endure to hear."
all company disclaimers apply --Wm. Shakespeare, 2 Henry VI, 4.7