Using "where" or "in which"

Subject: Using "where" or "in which"
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 12:17:49 PST

To LaVonna Funkhouser's example for "in which" or "where":

>>In all applications *where* reclaimed water is
>>to be used, it is very important to reduce the level of
>>soluble iron to below 10 ppm.

Len Olszewski suggests:

>You can eliminate this construction completely with gerunds. For
>example,

>"In all applications using reclaimed water, reducing the level of
>soluble iron to below 10 ppm is very important."

>Less words, just as clear. What do you think?

I think in sentences with a single verb or subject, this works well. But in
the above example, it looks like there are two subjects (the application
and the reader) performing two very separate actions, which I find a bit
confusing. If I were reading it quickly, I might assume the application
both uses reclaimed water and reduces the soluble iron.

So that we don't stray too far from LaVonna's original question, is there
anyone who would prefer to keep the "where" or "in which" in the above
sentence?

================================
Anatole Wilson "Thou hast most traitorously
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer corrupted the youth of the realm
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs by erecting a grammar school...
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com It will be proved to thy face that
thou hast men about thee that
usually talk of a noun and a verb,
and such abominable words as no
Christian ear can endure to hear."
all company disclaimers apply --Wm. Shakespeare, 2 Henry VI, 4.7