Full-text srch in WinHelp is POSSIBLE!

Subject: Full-text srch in WinHelp is POSSIBLE!
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 22:40:00 PST

On the assumption that anyone cares, I can now vouch for the fact that
full-text searching, of the kind previously seen only in Microsoft Viewer and
the system help files for Windows NT, can be implemented in third-party help
files for both Windows NT and regular 16-bit Windows 3.1x. If you don't know
what I'm talking about: find a machine running NT, call up an NT system help
file, and click the Find toolbar button. Way cool.

This is something I have been interested in doing for some time, and I am
quite exhausted from today's final push towards the solution, among other
things. Therefore, while I plan to publicly explain in detail how this can be
done, the explanation will have to wait a little while.

Just wanted to pass on the good news, and say this: if you want to implement
FTS yourself, get yourself either a copy of the MultiMedia Development Kit,
or the latest release of NT on CD-ROM -- according to a reliable Redmondian,
"the one that includes Alpha support." I can personally guarantee that "Final
Release / Version 3.1"/etc. doesn't have what you need -- trust me!

Back soon,
PatO'
Patrick Brian O'Connell
Intermediate Tech Writer, Eicon Technology Corp.
Net: patricko -at- eicon -dot- com
N.B. This is not your father's .sig -- or my usual one, for that matter!
Ciall agus neart!