Re: worth of documentation

Subject: Re: worth of documentation
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 17:21:42 -0800

Anatole Wilson said:
> I never reallyt thought about it before, but it really *is* strange that
> books like _DOS for Dummies_ that take a humorous/less serious approach to
> documentation do so well.

The other issue is cost--they are much cheaper than many 3rd party books.
I bought "Unix for Dummies" because it was simple, but also because it
wasn't very expensive compared to most 3rd party Unix books. As for the
tone, well....it assumed you know DOS. So it's not really for dummies.

One comment about manuals in general--it was after using the OS/2 manual
extensively that I decided I could be a technical writer.:)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com