Re: Reading Manuals

Subject: Re: Reading Manuals
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 08:21:59 -0600

I agree with Wendy Warren. Most manuals are
references to be *used* not *read.* That was an
underlying point to my post about the software-type
who does use manuals. He made the point of saying
that he didn't really read any manual, but he
wanted to be able to find info. that he needed by
using the usual clues (index, tabs, toc). When
he found it, he wanted it to be clear and understandable.

One manual that he liked was VAX VMS. Yes, as Steve
noted, it is multi-volume, but it was written to be
a reference, not a "user guide" that might be more
thoroughly read.

My Oxford English Dictionary is huge, but that
doesn't keep me from finding the information that I
want from it!

Hmm... What can I learn from this? It goes back
to our usual theme:

* Establish the PURPOSE of the doc
* Analyze the AUDIENCE of the doc

Maybe it's time to post that song again (I forgot
the name of the author)...

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com