Re: Product Limitations

Subject: Re: Product Limitations
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 07:51:31 -0500

Irene Plokar writes:

When writing about a product or a program, where do you normally
include its limitations? Is the information included within the
documentation as a separate chapter or appendix, or included in a
separate document (e.g., marketing material, Release Notes, README
file)?

Irene:

When including information on product limitations, I usually take two
approaches. In a manual's Overview section, I sometimes place bulleted lists
headed with "What this product will do" and "What this product will not do."
This was when I worked for a small agricultural software company, and
"expectation control" was a big problem. Besides, it keeps the sales folk
honest.

My other approach has been to weave the information into the task/definition or
whatever the major organizational piece of the manual is. If I'm writing
a section describing a feature, and it seems perfectly obvious to me that the
user might expect the system to do something it can't (or that it can do only
with a companion program) I make note of it.

Hope this helps,

Doug