Re: gender, sex & biology

Subject: Re: gender, sex & biology
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 11:03:05 -0700

Andreas Ramos said:
> As I said elsewhere, there are many women who are editors of major
> computer magazines. Publishing is indeed a woman's field. One such
> publisher told me that the other women are well aware that computer
> communications is mostly men. They'd like to see this to change. To put
> it differently, women are a huge, untapped market.

How untapped are women? _Ms._ used to have a computer column written
by a woman--it was wonderful, though the author's name escapes me
now. I began reading computer magazines in 1987, when it became
clear to me that my university didn't intend to really support
computer use by faculty members, though they bought us all computers.

A lot of computer stuff directed towards women is patronizing, and
a lot of mainstream stuff is too techy (and aften badly written).
(I'm talking in terms of magazines here, not documentation.) So
a user who wishes to become more technically knowledgeable, be
they male or female, has a hard row to hoe.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com