Re: objectionable terms

Subject: Re: objectionable terms
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 10:58:15 PDT

Andreas Ramos writes:
> Instead of writing such cryptic short statements: abort, fail, retry,
> (and there were many of these in DOS), why not just write out in clear
> simple English: ...

Remember that these now-objectionable terms were coined when human-
computer input-output suffered from much less bandwidth. Some of us
person-machine interaction. (I am not proposing a thread of "Oh, yeah!
I remember when we made the punched cards out of clay!" and the like.)
Terseness was a very high priority. MS-DOS descends from CP/M which
_was_ run with slow peripherals.

But that was then, this is now. I agree with Andreas. Now we _can_
write things out and we should. (I think Microsoft is trying.) I
also agree with Sue Stewart. If these words cause problems for the
users, we should change them. I am not saying that we can eliminate
all jargon. Useable programs and readable documents almost always
need to use specialized vocabulary for unfamiliar concepts. I am
also not proposing a political-correctness test for vocabulary.
But when the words we use make it harder for a significant group of
our users, we need to find different words.

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134