Please Help

Subject: Please Help
From: Jim Walsh <jimw -at- TENNESSEE -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 16:57:02 CDT

From: Jim Walsh --- jimw -at- tennessee -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com

To: All Of You

Hello:

I'm asking a favor. I want to do as good a job as possible on my presentation
at the 41st STC Conference next month. So I want to get as much information on
what companies are requiring when they interview technical writers for jobs in
scientific communication. Even though I have 30+ years in technical communica-
tion, I need as much input from other professionals to do the job right. Could
you please take a few minutes to answer the questions below and send your
opinions/thoughts to me at the address next to my name above? I will be part of
a panel on Careers In Scientific Communication -- ET4A - 4 pm on Monday, May 16.
Thanks.

1. In what field do you write/edit (e.g., electronics, physics, biology, etc.)?

2. When you interviewed for your job, what did you feel were your strongest
qualities (such as education and/or experience)?

3. How long ago was that interview?

4. Do you think that your resume then would be strong enough to get the same
job in today's market (please explain)?

5. If you were to seek a writer/editor for that job today, what qualities would
you look for?

6. If you had two candidates -- one with strong knowledge of your scientific
area but little writing experience, and the other with the opposite skill mix
(weak technical knowledge but strong writing experience) -- to which would you
give preference? (Please explain.)

7. How important are these qualities in an employee:

a. Ability to work as a team member.

b. Ability to make and meet schedules.

c. Maturity.

8. Would you please explain any other qualities you or your company looks for
when looking for prospective technical writer/editors:

Thanks a lot. To say that I'm concerned about my presentation is putting it
lightly, and I will be amongst three very capable and knowledgeable people
in this panel discussion. I appreciate all your inputs, and please attend the
session and introduce yourself to me afterwards.

Thank you -- Jim Walsh jimw -at- tennessee -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com (713) 274-3611