Re: To start a new thread...

Subject: Re: To start a new thread...
From: Jim Walsh <jimw -at- TENNESSEE -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:00:02 CDT

Elisabeth:

If LOTUS in your address means the Lotus software company, it would seem that
your first stop would be at the tech writing group in your company. If your
company is like mine (Texas Instruments), you could work a transfer (should
the tech writing group have an opening). With the resume you described and
knowledge of your own products, you'd seem to be a good candidate.

And if that doesn't work, it seems that the same resume would work with any
of a number of companies -- just mail a copy to any and all of the likely
firms in your area. Also, if you are in a fairly large industrial area (I
work in the Houston area), you should consider getting with a contracting
firm who would know of companies in the area that would take you on part time
at a lower salary than a writer more experienced. At least it's a foot in
the door. Contract firms cost -- a percentage of your salary each week --
and have modest benefits, but they know the market.

Also, if you have a sizeable STC chapter (like Houston's), they have an
employment committee that can steer you to an employer.

Of course, some of these ideas hinge on being in a populated area, but maybe
there is one in commuting distance. But, I'd like to close that your exper-
ience and education are rather an impressive mix -- and that you would be
able to come up with a resume that would get you some "interested" replies
if sent to a human resource department.

Best -- Jim Walsh jimw -at- tennessee -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com

********* ************* *********** *********** *********** *********
* To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>

* I've been doing live technical support for about six years now. I REALLY
want
* to get into a technical writing position. The problem is, most tech writing
* positions require experience--the old Catch-22.

* Back in college, I majored in Creative Writing and minored in Computer
* Science. I've taken several mini courses on tech writing. I have a small
but
* (IMHO) high-quality selection of writing samples from my tech writing job,
and
* from my phone experiences, I've become very good at explaining technical
* concepts to non-technical audiences.

* However, whenever I check want ads, there are never entry-level positions.

* So, how does one get started in tech writing?