Re: Online & paper?

Subject: Re: Online & paper?
From: Steve Gray <sagray -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:59:48 EDT

Mike LaTorra writes:

> The central question is this: If you could have a comprehensive,
> hypertext help on your computer -- a help window that can
> remain open even while you are doing other things in the
> underlying application -- would you still want a paper manual?

I really like a GOOD hypertext manual, but what if the system
isn't working correctly? Many users have a real knack for "falling
between the cracks" on the computer. Also, software errors (Come on,
admit it! Bugs are everywhere!) could leave the user stranded.

At the bare minimum, there should be some kind of mini-manual
that describes how to restore the hypertext manual, in the event
of a problem.

Steve Gray sagray -at- amp -dot- com
Corp Stds & Tech Pubs
AMP Incorporated, Harrisburg, PA (717) 780-4393