Online & paper?

Subject: Online & paper?
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 07:57:33 -0500

> Mike LaTorra asks:

> >The central question is this: If you could have a
> comprehensive, >hypertext help on your computer -- a
> help window that can >remain open even while you are doing
> other things in the >underlying application -- would you
> still want a paper manual?
> Faith Weber adds:
> I'm very interested to know other people's thoughts on
> this, as we are thinking about this question too.

Working with online help and hypertext over the years, it's easy to make
the argument for online doc. But the reality (at least in my case) is that I
prefer the paper manual.

I ask myself why my preferences fall out this way. The answers are hazy. I
think
- preference -- I've always used manuals & the switch is hard to make
- completeness -- online doc is so abbreviated that I'm never sure

I am finding everything I need to know.
- convenience -- looking up the answer in the book on my lap & then
trying it out on the screen just seems easier

Some of this could be laid at the door of age -- we are all more comfortable
with what we've been used to using over the years. I just find the paper
manual to be more usable.

BTW, I work on a NeXT workstation which provides some of the finest
online doc around. I'm using the online resource more often in this
environment -- but I'm keeping my manuals close at hand.

Karen Steele
President, Lone Star Chapter, STC