Venture vs. Frame

Subject: Venture vs. Frame
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 08:37:03 PDT

Mike,
I have not used Ventura. I have dabbled only a bit in Framemaker, only
to find out how to convert files to Word format. One note about possible
conversion.

Framemaker is a powerful tool; it won an Editor's Chioce award in the
current PC Magazine in its review of desktop publishing software.
However, there is a hidden cost: conversion filters. I found that
Framemaker ships with a small set of filters to convert to and from
other DTP, word processing, and graphics formats. If you don't have
your files in one of those formats, Frame charges a few hundred dollars
more for an additional filter package.

I am also not entirely convinced of the robustness of the Frame RTF
export filter. When using it, then bringing documents into Word 2.0,
the formatting was all messed up. Having used Word for years, this is the
first time I had seen such a thing.

Before you make a decision, you may want to check out the PC Magazine article.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com