Re: space space

Subject: Re: space space
From: "Barbara J. Philbrick" <burkbrick -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 16:30:24 EDT

>My editor yesterday told me to globally change my 2 spaces
>after each sentence to 1 space after each sentence. The
>two-space habit is so engrained that I don't know if I
>can switch. I also think this is a bit of personal preference.

Fortunately, both Word 6.0 and Frame offer "smart spaces," which I hope will
become an option on more word processors and desktop publishers. This feature
automatically changes any double spaces to single spaces, so you don't have
to worry about ingrained habits.

Actually, it's not just personal preference. If you leave two spaces, DTP
programs will overcompensate when they're automatically kerning and
justifying lines, leaving too wide a space. (Ventura changes them into no
break spaces, which leads to other problems.) Of course, most people don't
notice, but once you notice it, you'll spot double spaces where they
shouldn't oughta be right away.

Barb