Where do you look for books on tech writing?

Subject: Where do you look for books on tech writing?
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 08:42:25 PDT

On a friendlier note than my last post.....

My wife works for a major bookstore chain, and one of the porblems that
constantly comes up is that they have no idea where to shelve books on
Technical Writing. Currently, the main office tells them to put books on
science and technical writing in the "Science" section, technical and software
writing books interspersed throughout the "Computer" section, online
information design books in the "Computer" section grouped with the "Graphic
Design" books, and any technical writing book that mentions business or
industry in the title gets shelved in the "Business Writing" section, along
with the books on writing advertising copy and resumes. Whatever's left gets
put in the "Writing and Publishing" section with the creative writing books.

So the question is: when you go into a bookstore, what section do you check
first for books on technical writing? Where would you prefer to look for
them?

Personally, I think that all books on writing--be it creative, technical,
or marketing--should be located in the "Writing and Publishing" section.
Only books on resume and coverletter writing should go in the "Business"
section, under "careers," as they are now.

This is your chance to end search frustration in at least one major
bookstore in the Bay area. (And who knows--if better organization leads to
better sales, other stores could follow!)

Anatole Wilson "We are all interested in the
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer future, for that is where you
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs and I will spend the rest of
our lives."
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com --Griswell Predicts,
all company disclaimers apply "Plan 9 From Outer Space"