Re: ZIP code stuff

Subject: Re: ZIP code stuff
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 09:14:09 -0500

Magaret Gerard hearkens back to those thrilling days of yesteryear:
>Way back in the dim dark ages of childhood when I first noticed ZIP____
>on printed materials emanating from the US (and before POSTCODE was
>introduced here) I had no idea that ZIP represented Zonal Improvement Plan.
>I remember thinking that they must have chosen the word "zip" to mean that
>if you used the code, the mail would be delivered fast i.e. with zip and if
>you didn't, it wouldn't :>)

That was kind of the point: to have an acronym that people would remember,
and that could be used in a big introductory ad campain to show how this
new postal code system would make your mail ZIP to its destination. Kudos
and pats-on-the-back to whoever dreamed it up.

Before ZIP codes, there was some sort of local code system. My mom's
childhood address, for example, was 851 Park Avenue, South Bend 01, Indiana.
The 01 was the code. Her current address, before ZIP, was 2903 Erskine Blvd.,
South Bend 14, Indiana. (The ZIP codes today are 46601 and 46614,
respectively.)

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta