Even larger documentation set...

Subject: Even larger documentation set...
From: John Gough <john -at- ROCKY -dot- ATRIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 11:36:20 CDT

Andreas Ramos says (about Navy Aegis documentation)

> We should take our collective hats off to the Navy's tech writers. Four
> tons is quite an acheivement!

For a subsystem, sure. I've heard that the rule of thumb in the
aircraft industry is:

"The plane is not complete until the weight of the
documentation exceeds the weight of the plane."

Don't know if this includes internal stuff like ECOs and FAA
filings... ;-) Presumably a lot of the weight is in maintenance
manuals.

The same industry is leading a charge into CD-ROM. Anyone from Boeing
want to comment on this? What does the User's Manual for a 747 look
like? How many CD-ROMs do you get? Is there a 'Read Me First'?

Yes, I loved planes as a kid.
John
John Gough Atrium Technologies Austin TX john -at- atrium -dot- com