Re: Commas in a series

Subject: Re: Commas in a series
From: Thomas Krueger <tjk -at- INTROL -dot- INTROL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 13:28:41 GMT

Rollings Gill (WGILLR -at- wok-msmail-gw -dot- isl -dot- com) wrote:
: 2. On the specific example given here, I would opt for "the wires, in
: order, are: white; blue and green;
: and yellow." I am sure that some of you will be horrified that I up the
: stakes to colon and semi-colon, but I think that the "next level" of pause
: may be called for in this instance. It separates the items beyond doubt.
: If you all think that I'm taking the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach,
: fine - but if there is enough uncertainty among the writers to generate this
: discussion, the readers are probably in a worse state!

Or, if you were to do it most correctly: "the wires, in order, are: white,
blue with green tracer, and yellow."

(Ten years as a technician is sometimes useful.)

- Tom
--

Thomas Krueger Introl Corporation Moderator:
Technical Writer 9220 West Howard Avenue rec.audio.high-end