Re: WANTED: info about studies on napping during the workday

Subject: Re: WANTED: info about studies on napping during the workday
From: Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 16:54:00 EST

Text item: Text_1

I can't quote the official source, but I read in the AVSIG forum (dedicated
to Aviation Safety) on Compuserve that someone did studies about the effect
of short naps for pilots on long international flights.

Pilots who took very short naps fared better than those who didn't nap at
all.

The study/studies were based on evidence that it takes at least 30 minutes
to go into deep sleep. I think that as a result, pilots on some
international flights are now allowed a 30-minute slot for a nap. This
doesn't mean that they necessary sleep for the whole time; they may only
sleep for 22, for example. But you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

Jane Torpie
Principal Technical Writer
Easel Corporation