Idea feedback wanted: WWW survey of doc readers

Subject: Idea feedback wanted: WWW survey of doc readers
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 10:40:00 PDT

I recently pitched, via e-mail, the idea of a World-Wide Web server-based
survey of software to my -- well, almost-immediate superior. I have yet to
hear back from him and I think it's because I'm such an idea hamster, and
the mail was rather long, that he didn't take it seriously.

For those who don't know, it is possible to create interactive user-querying
forms in HTML, the hypertext language used to create documents for browsing
via the World-Wide Web, a global network of information resources with a
client-server oriantation. (Documents are made available on Web *servers*,
which must be accessed via Web *clients*). I had suggested we could possibly
get a lot of useful information with little or no outright investment of
cash. only certain peoples' time.

I had also suggested that we could ask for 1) other companies' input in the
formulation of this questionnaire and 2) that they encourage their clients
to connect and complete the survey, in return for 3) access to any and all
data we get out of the survey. It'd be an "everybody wins" situation!

Now, this survey is a long way from being a reality. However, I would still
like to know

o If you think this kind of survey will work, and
o if you think, or know, that your company would be interested in
participating in 1), 2), and 3) above.

These questions are PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. There's not even anything on the
drawing board yet; I'm jsut trying to convince this guy we should do this.
The WWW is in the process of becoming HUGELY popular right now, and I think
the time is ripe for something like this; many people are trying the Web for
the first time each and every day. If it works, obviously it could also set
a precedent for online surveys...

Thanks for your time,
PatO'
|Patrick Brian O'Connell > Intermediate Technical Writer|
|Internet: patricko -at- eicon -dot- com < Eicon Technology Corporation|
|Tel: (H) 514-482-9279 > (B) 514-631-9825 x250|
|------"Ciall agus neart">>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Strength and knowledge"-----|