Re: "they" and a bit of hyperbole?

Subject: Re: "they" and a bit of hyperbole?
From: Caryn Rizell <caryn -at- HPPTC95 -dot- ROSE -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 16:04:36 PDT

Thank you for the humor for today. When I read the 'survey question'
I got a big chuckle!

I agree that 'they' is a bit annoying, and I try to avoid
it if at all possible. But I also think that it might not
be a bad idea to bring back that usage since we do have to
find a way around sexist language. (I particular disklike
'he' only, and have always found it 'profoundly disturbing'. I
always felt left out when I read that.)

The survey (mentioned by Sue Stewart-I think) also makes me think
that we should be careful what we ask when we survey our users. Were
they specifically asked about 'they'? If so, they would
probably not like it. Did the users point out the usage
of 'they' without being asked? Then, that might be
something to deal with.

Caryn Rizell
caryn -at- hpptc95 -dot- rose -dot- hp -dot- com

Now I write: