American Chemical Society Preference - Space After Period

Subject: American Chemical Society Preference - Space After Period
From: Carol Engle <CENGLE -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 21:39:22 CST

Not another _full_ discussion on the number of spaces after a sentence --
only the preference of the American Chemical Society!

My husband is finishing his dissertation in chemistry and there is some
disagreement among his committee members on how many spaces should follow
each sentence. All the arguments of the techwr-l recent discussion just
won't solve the dispute. So, does anyone out there know the preference
of the American Chemical Society (ACS)? The most recent ACS style guide
we have is 1986 and it is so dated that it says a lot of computer output
is too coarse for manuscripts!

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated by both my husband and me!