Re: portfolios

Subject: Re: portfolios
From: John Gough <john -at- ATRIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:53:55 CDT

As a professional, I commmit to the fact that my work represents me
and do whatever is necessary to maintain my portfolio. I want to do
good work that I'm proud to show people: if I cannot do good or
satisfying work in one company, it's usually an indicator that the
company has priorities that are inconsistent with maintaining a
professional environment for me. If I can't fix that, I look for
another employer.

When hiring, I would accept only Marilynne's #1, *current* security
classification, as a valid reason for a writer not having a copy of
their work. #2 and #3 are completely invalid as excuses. I agree to
nondisclosure terms if the material is sensitive. Most of the time I
have trouble getting people to show me works that are long enough!
Books are great because they (can) represent higher levels of
organization and thought.

Some corporations attempt to intimidate employees into thinking that
they have no right to keep a copy. That doesn't mean they're right.
Would you hire a graphic artist who didn't have a portfolio?

Despite all of the recent holy slams about education and portfolios and
experience not being accurate 100% of the time, *they're what
we've got*. Without them we're just listening to somebody
bullshitting in an interview.

[ Marilynne Smith writes: ]
> I agree about the portfolio. My portfolio is a bit thin since I
> 1. Worked with classified information
> 2. Worked as a contractor for other companies (I can't show their
> documentation because no one is supposed to know a contractor did it.)
> 3. Have written many book-sized works. How many of those do you think
> I want to haul around to an interview?

John Gough john -at- atrium -dot- com
Principal Technical Writer voice (512) 328-6977
Atrium Technologies fax (512) 328-2789
Austin, TX