Portfolios

Subject: Portfolios
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 1994 04:29:00 UTC

Lance Gelein (Region 8) has a wonderful portfolio, if you can talk him into
showing it to you. He did a session on presenting portfolios for a Regional
Conference.

Basically, he teaches to do a class act. He had a nice zipper portfolio and
extra copies of documentation people might want to keep. It was like
someone had asked him to prepare a portfolio for them, in other words, he
really went all out with it.

Lance uses coordinated preprinted papers for his resume and accompanying
papers. He also has a business card that matches.

If I am remembering correctly, he said he made nice copies of his work for
his portfolio, and discussed them with the interviewer, but didn't leave
copies with the interviewer. I am in danger of misquoting him here, but I
think his reasoning for that was, if they wanted his ideas and his talent,
well, he was there applying for a position.

He had it all packaged in a nice leather or leather-look portfolio with a
zipper.

I would recommend that you try to get him talking on the subject. He
really has it well thought out.

-Marilynne