Re: Grammar and rhetoric, is that all there is to it?

Subject: Re: Grammar and rhetoric, is that all there is to it?
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:54:52 CDT

For John Brinegar, et al:

In message 9406052108 -dot- AA08095 -at- telemann -dot- inoc -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com, John writes:

> -Does it make sense any more to deliver training and documentation
> separately and to have them developed by different people?

I think the training and documentation should be, as now,
separate, but related. If Gloria Grey's Performance Support Systems
become reality, both training and documentation will be delivered
online at user request, interactively.

SGML and document management systems can make product
documentation more available for training development use and training
developed information more available for document development.

The difference in objectives for documentation and training
prevent modular reuse of related text modules without some wordsmithing.
I just don't see us successfully reusing each others text verbatim.

The same people might be, and, in some cases I've seen, have
been, tasked to develop and even deliver both training and documentation.
But, these cases are exceptions, not rules. Documentation often leads
training development on the Gantt chart, for efficiency sake. After all,
training needs to use the documentation in their training materials.

Training and documentation are symbiotes, usually, but who
develops them depends on time and budget constraints. Time often overrides
budget, calling for separate teams working at the same time.

Just my opinions and experience, so far.

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com