The Last Word on Degrees

Subject: The Last Word on Degrees
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 04:38:00 UTC

You can't imagine, Beth, how hard I worked to become accepted as a Technical
Writer without a degree. After receiving an AA in Liberal Arts, I fell in
love, got married, had kids, and forgot about degrees for a while. I first
wrote as a freelance writer. I once worked about 40 hours on an article and
they paid me $25.00.

When I went back to college, it was night school after work. The first
courses I took were in writing. I felt that I wasn't getting the knowledge
that I wanted so I took geology and computer science. I've been to 8
different colleges trying to get a degree. I'm still a few credits short of
a degree, but I've got 15 years of experience to stack with it.

When I lose a job to a kid out of college who has a degree, it hurts.

-Marilynne

P.S. Do you want to hear how I walked to work 10 miles every day . . . in
the snow . . . in my bare feet . . . ? <grin>